Founded by the Greek non-profit Archipelagos Institute of Marine Conservation, the Aegean Marine Life Sanctuary (AMLS) will open its doors in 2020.
To rescue and provide refuge for dolphins, seals and turtles in distress and to offer sanctuary to formerly captive dolphins within a safe and secure natural environment in an innovative marine welfare centre in the Aegean Sea.
To develop “Dolphin First” protocols for animal health and welfare and serve as a model of a multi-disciplinary teaching facility that focuses on providing solutions-based initiatives towards research, conservation and accredited care of marine mammals and to build capacity for a ‘unified’ Mediterranean Marine Mammal Rescue Network, that works together to aid standards-based rescue and rehabilitation of sick, injured or ‘at-risk’ marine animals.
“Honouring Greek cultural heritage, as the first country to protect dolphins by law over 2500 years ago, we are creating the world’s first Marine Life Sanctuary in the Aegean Sea. “
RESCUE & REHABILITATION
A mission to rescue marine mammals in distress and provide a quality refuge for their recovery and rehabilitation.
research centre where dolphins can be studied in a regulated, natural environment.
A sanctuary powered
solely by renewable
energy with a minimal
A model sanctuary that
can be globally replicated
and scaled to local
conditions and different
change by setting
protocols and practices.
Dedicated to raising
awareness and working
with communities to
- Provide long-term care to dolphins, monk seal and sea turtles in a natural environment.
- Offer high quality veterinary care to a variety of native marine species in a region where such care is currently lacking.
- Promote and protect the biodiversity of the Aegean Sea through non-invasive research practices.
- Serve as a building model that can be replicated globally with AMLS’s open-source set of protocols and best practices.
- Stand as a centre for research and education for local and international students, visitors, scientists, and conservation managers.
- Increase public awareness about dolphin welfare issues and the vital need for efficient marine conservation globally.
Sign up for updates
If you want to know more about the progress of the Aegean Marine Life Sanctuary, sign up for our email notifications.